Every July Japanese beetles decide our vineyard is the tastiest on the block. Since we only have 100 vines and are striving to be organic, I simply knock those iridescent irritations into a bucket of soapy water and feed them to my chickens. My mode of defense is easy enough, yet timing is the key to its success. Japanese beetles are lethargic in cool temps, but quick to fly away (and later return) as the day gets warmer. If I want them falling into my bucket, I have to get out there with the morning sunrise.
Timing is everything, as they say. The same can be said when marketing your business.
Timing Is Everything
- Plan six months out. Yes, we’re enjoying the heat of summer, but now’s the time to finalize your autumn marketing plans and brainstorm for winter. Anything big happening in 2022? Got any ideas for a marketing theme?
- Follow your industry. An awareness of what’s happening in your industry enables you to plan, respond and adapt. Is your product subject to seasonal creep? Do you need to start promoting it earlier?
- Stay flexible. A well-scheduled plan makes marketing easy but even the best laid schemes can go awry. Weather, current events or other hot button issues sometimes require a deviation from the plan. Do you have a handy backup?
What I’m Working On This Month
I’m super proud to serve as a director for Women Food & Ag Network, a non-profit empowering women in healthy food and ag systems. So many inspiring people! This month we’re storytelling as we develop our fundraising/membership drive. After all, stories are the most powerful tool in a marketer’s box.
What I’m Tuned In To This Month
- The Impact of Her Spirit: a 1980s oral history project. Great research for a workshop I’m presenting in November.
- What Defines a Family Farm? Obviously, there are differences of opinion, as shown in this article. Either way, we’re loosing our farms.
- Grandma Gatewood’s Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail. A well-researched bio of both an amazing woman and the famous trail.
- Firefly Coffeehouse: A story of COVID survival and loyal employees. How’d they do it?